If you’re into exciting, new ways to do your eyeliner, you’ve come to the right place. Upping your eyeliner game has never been more fun with these cool new ways to do your makeup! Say bye-bye to boring, black eyeliner and hello to these awesome trends! Take our advice and try one of these for a fresh, bold look.
We spoke to celebrity beauty expert Hasblady Guzman to find out the easiest ways to get these looks and the best products to achieve them.
1. Classic cat eye
This adorable trend never gets old. Cat eyeliner is the perfect way to amp up your makeup without looking too fancy. Simply extend your eyeliner out as far as you desire past your eyelid to create this sexy look. Flare the wings up to create an even more cat-like effect.
- Start with clean skin, then apply foundation on your eyelid.
- Lightly dust on a translucent powder or powder that matches your skin tone.
- While standing in front of the mirror, take your left hand and pull back your right eyebrow (gently; don't tug too much).
- Holding the liquid eyeliner pen or an angled brush with eyeliner gel on it, start at the inside corner of your eye. Make small applications, almost like small lines, one at a time, increasing the thickness as you move to the outer corner of your eye. Let it dry.
- Do it all over again on the same eye by going over the same line.
- For the bottom of the eye, at the lash line, add a skinny line with a second wing just below the top wing so that the lines do not touch, but run parallel to each other.
- For the left eye, use your left hand to pull back your brow to apply the eyeliner in the same manner.
2. Bright white
White eyeliner can make you appear more awake than darker eyeliners because it brightens your eyes and isn’t as harsh as black or brown. If you’re looking for a more relaxed look, try applying white eyeliner on your top lids, on your bottom lids or even on the inside corners of your eyes. You won’t look like you’re wearing as much makeup as you would if you were wearing darker liner. Try Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($20), NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner ($24) or Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil ($20).
3. Smudged and sexy
Smudged eye makeup creates a darker and more mysterious look. To get this look, use a dark eye shadow and smudge it along your eyelid using a small eye shadow brush. By using shadow as a liner, you’ll create a soft and sultry eye.
“Use a bold color, but make sure that it is more matte than cream based, otherwise it will crease,” Guzman says. She suggests using MAC’s Eye Shadow in Woodwinked ($16) and MAC’s 212 Flat Definer Brush ($24).
4. Glitter galore
For a fun, sparkly look, glitter eyeliner is perfect, especially if you’re going to a concert or a party. Glitter eyeliner can be applied on your top lids, bottom lids or both if you’re feeling daring. You’ll bring the fun with you with this makeup! Try Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Liner ($19) or Stila Sparkle Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($22).
To complete the look, Guzman says, “You don't want to glisten. Use a dual powder that is more matte than creamy and a very low-key [lip color in] nude or pinkish/blushy. Don’t use blush on the cheeks.”
5. Double trouble
For a night out, double eyeliner can be a great way to switch up your look. Simply apply an additional line of a bold color on top of plain black liner to create a dramatic look. Try to choose a color that complements your outfit for the best effect.
“I would definitely use a black or a brown on the top lid, paired with a bright [color],” Guzman says. “Using too many different colors is something to stay away from so that the look isn't overboard.”
Great products to try:
- Gold:NARS Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Campo De’Fiori ($24)
- Red:Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Cosmetic Colour Pencil in NSFW ($16)
- Blue:Sephora Collection Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner in Blue ($13)
6. Graphic liner
For an extra-bold look, graphic eyeliner is the trend to try. Creating different patterns and looks with your eyeliner is a fun way to change up your makeup. Try this simple triangle pattern, or go for something more dramatic, like feathering or swirl designs.
If you’re doing a bold eye like this, use less makeup on the rest of your face. For example, a light, shimmery eye shadow and a simple lip gloss should do the trick.
How to do the triangle eye:
- With black liner, line your upper eyelids as you normally would.
- Pull back your eyebrow gently. At the corner of your eye, begin to bring the liner up like a cat eye.
- Extend your line farther than you normally would and create a sharp corner for your design.
- Bring your liner back in a straight line to the crease of your eye.
Great products to try:
7. Color craze
If you’re looking for an extra pop to your look, colored eyeliner could be for you. Using a color rather than black or brown will make your eyes look bold while spicing up your look. Bright colors will make your eyes look wider and can complement your eye color.
Guzman’s color suggestions for different eye colors:
- Green eyes: Burgundy, cream and green
- Brown/black eyes: Electric blues, bronze browns, teal and yellow
- Blue eyes: Espresso brown and whites up against charcoal-brown mattes; lining the inside waterline with white makes the color pop dramatically
- Hazel eyes: Caramels, black, whites and pinks
We know that you’ll look awesome in at least one of these seven trends, if not all of them! Whether you’re into dark and smoky eyeliner or bright and sparkly eyeliner, we’re sure you’ll rock whichever one you choose.