If you’ve ever found yourself on hair and beauty Pinterest boards while procrastinating, you know how glamourous the styles are. You might look at the hair tutorials and think, “How could I ever do that with my hair?” before hopelessly scrolling to the desserts section.
No longer, collegiettes! We’re here to give you the confidence to master hairstyles you’ve always wanted to try. These five are a lot easier than they look, so get your hair products and accessories ready!
1. Headband Tuck
This boho-chic style is super easy to recreate in less than one minute, so it’s perfect for the days when you’re in a rush to get to class. Treasures & Travels, a Vancouver-based lifestyle blog, created this easy tutorial so you can get the look yourself!
- Place an elastic headband of your choice over the top of your hair.
- Gather the ends of your strands together, as if you were getting ready to make a ponytail.
- Tuck the ends up into the back of your headband.
- Roll all of the hair into your headband until it’s all tightly rolled around.
2. Inside-Out Ponytail
Throwing your strands up into a simple high or low ponytail may be your usual routine, but it’s easy to rock your trusted hairstyle in a new way without much effort. This hairstyle inspo from Bustle will take you less than a minute to master and will up your ponytail game from 0 to 100 in no time. Bonus perk: It’s totally internship and workday appropriate, so feel free to wear this inside-out ponytail the next time you’re headed into the office!
- Pull and tie all of your hair into a low ponytail in the back.
- Create a small hole at the base of the ponytail (above the band) with your fingers.
- Bring your ponytail through the hole, flipping your strands inside out.
3. Messy Fishtail Braid
Ever since Blake Lively donned a messy fishtail braid to the premiere of Savages in New York City back in 2012, we’ve been obsessed with every possible variation of fishtail braids. If anyone can set a hairstyle trend, it’s the flawless Gossip Girl goddess and soon-to-be mom!
Instead of a traditional fishtail, try the double-braid look featured in the photo above. As tricky as it looks to master, it’s actually pretty simple. Collegiettes with both straight and wavy hair can rock this style, which works best with long hair. Check out this tutorial from PoPular Haircuts and sport this flirty style at your next sorority mixer or girls’ night out.
- Create one small fishtail braid on one side of your hair, whichever side you prefer. Secure with bobby pins and small, clear elastics if needed.
- Style a large and loose twisted fishtail braid with the rest of your hair, securing the end with a clear elastic band. For directions on how to create a traditional fishtail braid, check out this video tutorial from Luxy Hair.
- Use bobby pins to secure any strands you want to stay put.
- Pull a few long pieces of your hair to the front of your look for a boho vibe.
4. The Half-Crown Braid
Another trendy braided hairstyle, this half-crown braid involves braiding two small sections of your hair and then having them meet together behind your head. It’s perfect for when you’re in a rush, but you still need the perfect #IWokeUpLikeThis selfie for Instagram. Christina, the talented blogger behind Hair Romance, shows us how it’s done. Just make sure you have two small clear hair elastics and some bobby pins on hand to secure the style!
- Take a 1-to-2-inch section of your hair on one side, whichever you prefer, above your ear.
- Split the section into three parts and braid it.
- Angle your braid towards the back of your head, securing the end with one of your clear plastic elastics.
- Repeat this process with a section of hair on the opposite side of your head.
- Secure the first braid with bobby pins in the back of your head.
- Cross your second braid over the first one, tucking the end in behind the first braid.
- Secure the entire look in place with additional bobby pins as needed, and spray with a light hair spray if desired.
5. The Bow Bun
This adorable hairstyle isn’t just for your little sister – it’s perfect for collegiettes, too! This feminine and girly hair bow is super easy to create, even though it may look like it’s only for professionals. You’ll be turning heads all night long with this cute style, since it’s a major conversation starter and the perfect finishing touch to an edgy outfit. Kate from Running on Happiness helps you get the look yourself in five simple steps.
- Gather all of your hair into a high ponytail.
- Loop your locks through an elastic of your choice, creating a messy top bun. Make sure you leave the ends of the loose strands out and in the front!
- Divide the bun in half from the middle.
- Gather all of the loose ends into one small section and pull them directly back behind the bun.
- Pin the bow together with bobby pins as needed.
All of these hairstyles will have you strutting across campus with confidence; they’re chic, trendy and selfie-worthy. Whether you’re heading out on a date, going to class or hanging out with the girls, give one of these HC-approved looks a shot!