Whether you’re rooming with your best friends from high school or a bunch of strangers that your university’s housing department set you up with, living with other people is not the easiest thing in the world. While roommate contracts are fine and dandy when it comes to outlining traditional roommate concerns ––like whose job it is to take out the trash or wash the dishes–– sometimes, they leave out the most essential things.
From not Netflix-and-chilling on the couch in the living room to understanding that sometimes they will use up all the hot water before you even wake up, here are 21 things your roommates actually want you to know.
1. You’re probably being loud AF in the morning
2. There will be times when all the hot water is used up before you even had a chance to take a shower
3. The only settings on my blow dryer are obnoxiously loud
4. You can borrow my dishes (if you handle with care)
5. I’ll know when you skipped your 8 a.m. lecture ––but I won’t judge you
6. You better let me know when you order take-out
7. Please refrain from Netflix-and-chilling in the communal living area
Or else you will feel the icy chill of my glare.
8. Don’t treat our trash can like a large Jenga game
9. Give me a heads up before you plan on having company over
10. Your SO may be great and all… but they really don’t need to live in our apartment
11. If the door is closed, you should probably knock
12. Please don’t change the thermostat to an unbearable temperature
13. I can survive in a reasonable degree of messiness
14. If something of mine has expired in the fridge, feel free to throw it out
I promise that I’m not super attached to my expired milk.
15. Please don’t judge me for my bad days
16. I apologize in advance for banging on the door at 2 a.m. because I misplaced my keys
17. Give me a heads up if you want to have a party
18. Headphones exist for a reason
19. Don’t touch my stuff when you get sick
20. I’m sorry for anything I say when I’m on my period
21. Let’s be on good terms (even if we aren’t BFFs)
Is there anything that your future roommates should know about you, collegiettes?