Empathy is a powerful and arguably rare trait to posess, but problems arise when you have too much of it. As the saying goes, you really can have too much of a good thing. People who feel too much are no strangers to excessive anger, sadness, happiness, etc. They experience every emotion on the spectrum way more deeply than they'd like. Keeping our composure is highly unrealistic and holding back the tidal waves of feelings is just plain impossible. Arguably, it's hard to define what's normal and more than necessary when it comes to an individual's feelings. However, if you're a girl who feels too much, there's a good chance you'll be able to relate to this.
1. You feel the feelings all at once
It's like standing at the edge of the ocean when a giant wave moves in too fast for you to escape it. Not such a fun experience.
2. You would love to be able to turn down your emotional dial on occasion
But you know that you don't control your emotions - they control you.
3. Animal cruelty commercials get the waterworks going every time
Watch the entire 30-second clip? Not going to happen.
4. That one movie/song/TV show always makes you cry
As much as you'd like to deny this, you can't.
5. You relate to that one girl that "doesn't even go here" in Mean Girls more than any other fictional character
6. Because you feel so much, you've become highly perceptive to other people's feelings
This is definitely more of a strength than a weakness. You're good at learning and understanding the minds of other humans, which allows you to theorize how and why people think and feel the way they do.
7. You're an expert at comforting others
You're able to relate and empathize with others very well.
8. As a result, you're always the first person your friends go to for comfort
They know how in touch you are with your emotions. You always know the best and wisest thing to say.
9. Very few people understand the true, inner workings of your mind
So when you come across the ones that do, they're your BFFs for life.
10. You constantly want to help people because you understand their emotional pain
It's not your job to do so, but you can't help the urges you get. This can be considered either as an attribute or your greatest flaw depending on how you look at it. You forgive easily because you can quickly see the best in people.
11. You're highly sensitive to any and all criticism
Masking your emotions is not a feasible option. Although you try really hard to think and react reasonably and to remain remain level-headed, you can't help feeling personally attacked.
12. You find yourself drawn to other deep and introspective individuals
Whether in a friendly or romantic way, you find yourself attracted to people with similar mindsets. You live for those deep talks and crave any and all wisdom that can be passed on to you.
13. Rational thinking is not a term in your vocabulary
Irrationality is your middle name.
14. On the bright side, you'll never be accused of being heartless
Just a perk of your emotional nature. Follow your heart and you can't go wrong. At least, that's what you're hoping for.
You might lack your dream job, good grades or significant other, but you know what you do have? A lot of feelings - way more than the average person. Feeling a lot and all at once is not always the greatest thing. You end up having faith in the wrong people and making excuses for those that have hurt you before. You also have a hard time thinking and reacting rationally with your brain. But, at least you'll never be accused of not having a heart. Emotionally, you're an open book and your ability to empathize with the people around you can be an important social asset. Because you have so many feelings, you've got a lot of love to give.