Spring break is right around the corner, and if you’re lucky, that means friends, sun, sand and bikinis. However, after a winter of eating junk food and binging on Netflix, you might not feel quite bikini-ready. If you’ve been slacking on healthy eating and regular workouts, now is the time to get back into shape! Whether you want to tone up everywhere or focus on one specific problem area, here are some fast ways to get toned and look your best in time for spring break!
1. Crab push-ups
We all want biceps that can rival Jennifer Aniston’s, but arms can be a difficult area to target. Crab push-ups are a great way to tone multiple arm muscles at once for maximum results.
- Get in the “crab walk” position: sit down on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor, with your palms on the floor and your fingertips facing inward towards your body.
- Push up with your arms to raise your body off the ground.
- Slowly lower yourself back down, stopping just short of touching the ground, and repeat.
- Do 20 reps.
These can be challenging at first, so try starting out doing 10 at a time if you need to, and adding more as you get stronger!
2. Arm circles
Arm circles are an incredibly simple and effective way to tone your entire upper arm. To challenge your muscles, use wrist weights or hold a small weight (one to three pounds) in your hands.
- Keeping your arms straight, hold them out to your sides so your body makes a “T” shape.
- Move your arms in wide, slow circles.
- Complete about 25 reps (one full circle is a rep).
3. Reverse crunch
Ab workouts can get repetitive and monotonous, so change it up by introducing some new exercises! The lower abs are a difficult area to target just by doing crunches and sit-ups, so the reverse crunch is a great way to tone this area.
- Lay on the ground with your knees slightly bent (as if you were doing a sit-up) and your arms at your sides.
- Raise your legs until your hips are slightly off the floor.
- Slowly lower your hips back down to the starting position.
- Complete 15-20 reps.
T-bends are a move that can help you whittle your waist and get that coveted hourglass figure.
- Using a pair of light weights (about three to five pounds), hold your arms out in a T-shape.
- Keeping your arms straight out, slowly bend at the waist to the side, and then return to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Complete 10-15 reps.
5. Warrior I pose
Yoga poses can be extremely effective for toning. The Warrior I pose is a great way to tone your legs and give you a great head-to-toe stretch at the same time!
- Raise your hands above your head and arch your back.
- Lunge forward with one leg, so your knee is at a 90-degree angle to the ground.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds, and then repeat on your other leg.
6. Side leg raises
To tone the muscles on your hips and the outsides of your legs, which are often hard to target during regular exercise routines, consider trying side leg raises.
- Lay on your left side with your legs straight out and your left arm cushioning your head for support.
- Slowly lift your right leg, keeping it straight, until it is at about a 45-degree angle from the ground.
- Hold the position for a few seconds, and then slowly lower your leg, but don’t bring it all the way down.
- Repeat 15 times on each side.
To make this exercise even more challenging and effective, try adding ankle weights.
7. Medicine ball squats
Squats are one of the most effective moves for toning your booty to make sure you’ll rock your bikini bottom! To make a basic squat even more effective, incorporate a medicine ball into the move.
- Choose a mid-weight medicine ball, eight to 12 pounds depending on your preferences, and hold it out from your chest.
- Squat down so your knees are at a 45 degree angle to the floor, making sure your knees don’t go past your toes.
- Slowly raise yourself back upright.
- Complete 20-25 reps.
The added weight from the medicine ball will make your muscles work harder, leading to faster results! Squats can often be difficult to do correctly, so try watching this tutorial to ensure you have perfect form and won’t injure yourself.
There’s always pressure to get into perfect shape for spring break, but don’t stress out too much. Eat right, work out, try some of these toning exercises, smile and you’re sure to rock your bikini no matter what!