Whether you’ve been drafting press releases since you were little or just recently discovered your love for scandals, there are certain things every public relations student knows to be true. So if you’re still a little lost on where you belong in the world of communications, here are 22 telltale signs your true calling is in PR.
1. You’re met with blank stares when you tell people what you’re studying.
Mostly because they don't know what it is. Here’s a hint—it includes relations with the public.
2. You will be the next Olivia Pope.
Minus the whole affair with the president thing.
3. You can spot a grammar mistake from a mile away.
Will the general public ever understand the difference between your and you’re?
4. You’re a total pro at water cooler talk.
"Did you hear the latest?"
5. Networking is a personal skill.
"Nice to meet you. I'm your future employee."
6. You spend more time working on your resume than you do studying for exams.
It has to be perfect.
7. You’re probably going to end up in NYC, Philly or DC after graduation.
8. You ALWAYS know what’s going on in the news.
CNN is on speed dial.
9. You’re fascinated by company crises.
What will they do next?
10. Social media is so much more than Snapchat and selfies.
Surrender to the power of the post.
11. Your online presence is the perfect combination of peppy and professional.
"Hi, I have fun, but I'm also super classy and professional."
12. Your schoolwork primarily consists of writing press releases and analyzing case studies.
Basically every paper ends in ###.
13. Your life goal is to get 500+ LinkedIn connections.
"I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn" is practically your catchphrase.
14. Writing is actually enjoyable.
Yes, it's a thing.
15. Your laptop is your life.
How did people live before these things showed up?
16. You consistently struggle between pursuing agency or corporate life.
"Do I have to decide?"
17. The internship search is never-ending.
Fall internship is done. Time to start applying for spring.
18. You love seeing politicians and/or celebrities try to get themselves out of hot water.
How do such smart people say such stupid things?
19. You live and die by AP Style.
Nothing is right unless the Stylebook says so.
20. You check your email way too often.
You mean normal people don't send emails at 3:00 a.m.?
21. You’re proficient in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
Because we all know PR majors have to double as designers.
22. You take deadlines very seriously.
"I will have it to you no later than 11:59 p.m. EST."