As much as we all love a warm winter treat, our old go-to hot chocolate can get tiresome. When you're craving something a little extra sweet, say goodbye to powdered chocolate and tiny marshmallows and say hello to these mouthwatering twists on an old classic.
1. Mexican Hot Chocolate
Recipe fromFood Network
With hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne pepper, this spicy take on traditional hot chocolate is sure to jazz up your old winter routine.
- 6 12-oz. cans of evaporated milk
- 4 tsps. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 12-oz. bags semisweet chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder for garnish
- Whish together milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and nutmeg in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Cover and turn heat to low for five minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cocoa powder on top.
2. Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
Recipe from Pastry Affair
Refreshing and sweet, the crushed candy canes in this hot chocolate give it a distinctly wintery taste perfect for this holiday season.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 Tbsps. crushed candy canes or 1/4 Tbsp. of peppermint extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and half-and-half to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and crushed candy canes until smooth.
- Serve with whipped cream and crushed candy canes for garnish.
3. Caramel White Hot Chocolate
Recipe from Passion For Savings
This warm take on a vanilla and caramel ice cream sundae is so creamy and sweet, it's sure to become a holiday staple for you and your family!
- 8 oz. premium white chocolate
- 4 cups milk or cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsps. caramel
- Combine white chocolate, milk or cream and vanilla over medium heat until melted and smooth.
- Add caramel to mugs before pouring in hot chocolate. Top with marshmallows.
4. Nutella Hot Chocolate
Recipe from The Hungry Housewife
We're always looking for excuses to eat more Nutella! This hazelnut twist on traditional hot chocolate is both delicious and easy to make.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 Tbsps. Nutella
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk all of your ingredients together until well blended and hot.
- Pour into a cup, add whipped cream and enjoy!
5. Red Velvet Hot Cocoa with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
Recipe from Une-Deux Senses
The tangy cream cheese and classic red coloring turn your favorite red velvet cake into a fun holiday treat!
- 4 cups whole milk
- Dash of water
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. red food coloring
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-4 tsps. whipped cream cheese
- In a stand mixer, whisk together sugar and heavy cream at a medium speed for two to three minutes.
- Just before peaks form, add whipped cream cheese and whisk for another two minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk over medium heat.
- Add a splash of water and chocolate chips, stirring gently.
- When the mixture is almost melted, add food coloring and stir gently.
- Pour the hot chocolate into cups and top with whipped cream.
6. Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate
Recipe from The Recipe Critic
This tasty twist on milk and cookies is a quick and easy way to warm yourself up this winter!
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate mix
- 4-5 Oreos
- Warm milk over medium heat, but do not let boil.
- Add hot chocolate mix.
- Grind Oreos in a food processor or blender and add them to the warm milk.
- Serve with whipped cream and top with crushed Oreos.
7. Almond Joy Hot Chocolate
Recipe from Tasty Tiff
With coconut milk and almond extract, this hot chocolate and the special whipped cream taste like your favorite candy bar melted and ready to be enjoyed by the fire.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 Tbsps. cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsps. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup very cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- Combine milk and coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in cocoa powder, brown sugar, chocolate chips and 1/4 tsp. of vanilla until the mixture is melted and thick.
- For whipped cream: combine heavy cream, fluff, 1/4 tsp. of vanilla and almond extract until in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- Toast shredded coconut in a small frying pan.
- Top hot chocolate with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
8. Gingerbread Hot Cocoa
Recipe from The Hopeless Housewife
Pair this with your favorite holiday cookie and enjoy a gingerbread lover's dream hot chocolate. With spices like cinnamon, ginger and allspice, this hot chocolate just begs to be consumed with friends on a snowy night.
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 1/2 tsps. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine brown sugar, molasses, cocoa powder, spices, vanilla and salt.
- Stir in the milk.
- Heat mixture over medium heat and whisk until hot.
- Serve with whipped cream and sprinkled cinnamon.
9. Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
Recipe from A Beautiful Mess
Indulge in your favorite Starbucks drink at home! This salty and sweet treat of dark chocolate and caramel is the perfect dessert.
- 16 oz. milk or cream
- 4 oz. dark chocolate
- 4 oz. chocolate caramel
- A pinch or two of sea salt
- In a small saucepan, heat dark chocolate, salt and 8 ounces of milk until melted.
- Whisk in remaining milk and the chocolate caramel until the mixture is warm and smooth.
- Serve with whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt.