Twice a year during fashion week, we watch hundreds of beautiful models walk down runways sporting some pretty bold beauty looks. But trust us, some of these looks are totally manageable and chic. Here are a few winter beauty trends any collegiette can pull off!
1. Sleek, low ponytails
Unexpected rainy day? We know the feeling. A sleek ponytail can turn your accidental bad hair moment into a fashion statement. Of course, you could also just decide to pull your hair back in the morning if you feel like shortening your morning routine. Whatever you decide, take a few notes from the models walking runways such as Lela Rose and Jason Wu.
- Start with slightly damp hair.
- Use a bristle brush to brush all of your hair and gather it at the nape of your neck.
- Secure hair in a very low ponytail.
2. Cat eyes
- Dip a flat/eyeliner brush in gel eyeliner (like Inglot Cosmetics AMC Eyeliner Gel, $12).
- Drag the brush along your upper lash line and out past the outer corner of your eye at an angle.
- Create a wing by placing your brush at the outer corner of your eye and dragging the line back toward the center of your eyelid. The effect should look like your eyeliner is thickening toward the outer corner of your eye.
- Connect the liner to the inner corner of your eye and fill in any missing spaces.
3. Dark lipstick
We love cherry-red lipstick, but a few of the looks at the Naeem Khan show (see above) showed us that dark lipstick is where it’s at this season. According to makeup artist Lucia Pieroni, the key to making this look work is keeping the rest of your makeup minimal. To get this look, try using Sephora’s Color Lip Last in Burgundy Spirit ($13).
Braids are a timeless hairstyle. One of the best things about braids is that there are so many ways to wear them. You can add a few twists, like braiding a crown around your head for a more glamorous look (as seen at Creatures of the Wind), or you can just keep things simple by wearing a classic side braid. The possibilities are endless!
Crown braid instructions:
- Divide your hair into two sections. Braid one section all the way down to the end.
- Wrap the braid across the top of your head and secure it with a bobby pin.
- Braid the second section all the way down to the end and then wrap it across the top of your head, covering the first braid. Secure it with a bobby pin.
- Tuck in/pin back any loose pieces of hair with bobby pins.
5. Messy/grungy waves
As seen at Opening Ceremony, this is more of an “I-woke-up-like-this” type of look. This style would be perfect for those mornings when you’d rather sacrifice your appearance for a few extra minutes in bed.
- Dampen hair with water.
- Braid hair in two or three French braids.
- Give the braids some time to dry. Then, apply a small amount of heat with a flat iron to the hair to lock in the waves.
- Unravel the braids and style however you’d like.
When modified the right way, pretty much any beauty look you see on a runway can be worn on campus. What’s your favorite look for this season, collegiettes? Do you love a cat eye or a dark lip? Tell us in the comments!