As college comes closer and closer, you’ll definitely be looking to make your dorm room the cutest it can be. Dorm decorations can get pretty expensive, especially on top of tuition, bedding and all the other necessities you have to buy.
Luckily, we put together the seven cutest and easiest DIY dorm decorations with step-by-step directions. Making your dorm room pop with original, affordable and doable projects has never been easier. Get working, collegiettes!
1. Dry erase board
There’s no need to spend money on an expensive dry erase board when you can make one yourself (and it’ll probably be cuter!).
- Picture frame
- White or colored paper
- Gorilla Glue
- Dry erase marker
- Cut a piece of white or colored paper to fit inside your picture frame.
- Glue ribbon tied into a bow to a top corner of your frame.
- Attach the dry erase marker to a longer end of the ribbon.
- Leave yourself messages on this adorable dry erase board!
2. Cosmetics organizer
Ditch the fancy cosmetics organizer for this pretty, antique-looking one you can make with supplies from the dollar store!
- Two plates (one large, one small)
- Gorilla Glue
- With the candlestick upside down, glue the smaller end to the larger plate and let dry for 10 minutes.
- Glue the larger end of the candlestick to the smaller plate.
- Now you have a cosmetic organizer for makeup, hair supplies or anything else you want!
3. Photo heart
Change clichéd photo collages into something fun with this pretty heart design. Don’t spend money on expensive frames when you can make this yourself for next to nothing!
- 38 pictures of your choice (37 horizontal, one vertical)
- Develop 38 pictures of your choice (there can be less or more, but this particular design requires 38).
- Arrange the pictures into a heart shape (two on the top of each side followed by rows of six, seven, six, five, four, three, two and one vertical one).
- Using a ruler to ensure that your lines are even, tape the pictures to a blank space on your wall and enjoy a unique collage!
4. Fun lights
Brighten up your room with white or colorful lights you can make yourself!
- Strand of LED lights
- Package of ping-pong balls (white or colored)
- Using a knife, cut an X into each of the ping-pong balls you’re going to use.
- Pop the ping-pong balls on top of each bulb, creating a pretty lantern look.
- String the lights along your walls with tacks.
- Plug the lights in and enjoy your twinkling room!
5. Hanging cutouts
Create pretty wall decorations without buying expensive mobiles!
- Stencil of your choice (can be found online)
- Scrapbooking paper
- Find a stencil you like and trace it multiple times onto different-colored scrapbooking paper.
- Cut the designs out and attach them to a piece of string using tape or glue.
- Hang the DIY mobiles on your dorm room walls!
6. USB desk lamp
Making a USB desk lamp is much easier than it seems, and you can buy all the materials at a dollar store! Bye-bye, expensive desk lamps!
- USB LED light
- USB extension cord
- Mini tripod
- Wire mesh pencil cup
- Yarn, bows, ribbons or other decor
- Wrap the cord from the USB light around the mini tripod and balance it to point down at whatever height you want (the cord is stiff, so this won’t be a problem).
- Balance the pencil cup on top of the USB cord and tape it for security.
- Add any ribbons, bows or designs you want to the pencil cup.
- Plug in your extension cord and enjoy this unique lamp!
7. Desk supply holder
Say goodbye to a cluttered desk when you make this easy desk supply holder! Your pencils and pens will be organized in no time.
- Pringles cans (as many as you desire)
- Decorative paper
- Gorilla Glue
- Gather empty Pringles cans (this design uses six) and clean them out.
- Cover the cans in decorative paper.
- Using Gorilla Glue, glue the cans together to create a unique desk supply holder.
Decorating your dorm room doesn’t have to be difficult and expensive. With a few simple DIY decorations (and some strong glue!), your room will be the cutest in your hall. Save money and have fun while creating these projects!