Whether you’re rooming with your best friends from high school or a bunch of strangers that your university’s housing department set you up with, living with other people is not the easiest thing in the world. While roommate contracts are fine and dandy when it comes to outlining traditional roommate concerns ––like whose job it is to take out the trash or wash the dishes–– sometimes, they leave out the most essential things.
From not Netflix-and-chilling on the couch in the living room to understanding that sometimes they will use up all the hot water before you even wake up, here are 21 things your roommates actually want you to know.
1. You’re probably being loud AF in the morning
It doesn’t matter if I’m a light sleeper.
2. There will be times when all the hot water is used up before you even had a chance to take a shower
You snooze you lose. #SorryNotSorry
3. The only settings on my blow dryer are obnoxiously loud
Believe me, it’s hurting me just as much as it’s hurting you.
4. You can borrow my dishes (if you handle with care)
Because no one should have to eat their Cheerios out of a cup––it’s just not right.
5. I’ll know when you skipped your 8 a.m. lecture––but I won’t judge you
Hello! I’m obviously skipping mine, too.
6. You better let me know when you order take-out
Because there is a very good chance that I will want in on that.
7. Please refrain from Netflix-and-chilling in the communal living area
Or else you will feel the icy chill of my glare.
8. Don’t treat our trash can like a large Jenga game
It’s all fun and games until someone ends up picking up all the trash that fell on the floor… just take it out.
9. Give me a heads up before you plan on having company over
I’m not really interested in being welcomed home by strangers sitting on my couch.
10. Your SO may be great and all… but they really don’t need to live in our apartment
Unless they plan on paying rent, of course!
11. If the door is closed, you should probably knock
It’ll be for your own good, anyway.
12. Please don’t change the thermostat to an unbearable temperature
I’m not above engaging in a thermostat war.
13. I can survive in a reasonable degree of messiness
But let me know if you can’t ––no passive-aggressive notes are necessary.
14. If something of mine has expired in the fridge, feel free to throw it out
I promise that I’m not super attached to my expired milk.
15. Please don’t judge me for my bad days
In the words of Hannah Montana, “Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody has those days.”
16. I apologize in advance for banging on the door at 2 a.m. because I misplaced my keys
I will definitely owe you one.
17. Give me a heads up if you want to have a party
I will lock myself in my room, make other plans or bust out my party outfit.
18. Headphones exist for a reason
I don’t care if you’re blasting music or The Office on Netflix. I am not the friendliest person after being woken up from my third nap of the day.
19. Don’t touch my stuff when you get sick
I like you and all, but those lectures aren’t going to attend themselves.
20. I’m sorry for anything I say when I’m on my period
I really shouldn’t be allowed out of my room during that time of the month.
21. Let’s be on good terms (even if we aren’t BFFs)
I’m excited about getting to know you over the next year!
Is there anything that your future roommates should know about you, collegiettes?