Filming for the fourth season of Bachelor in Paradise has been suspended due to misconduct allegations. The new season was set to premiere Aug. 8, but with an investigation underway surrounding possible sexual misconduct, it's unclear if the show will go on.
The cast was just announced last week and included recent Bachelorette castoff DeMario Jackson. Following news that the entire BIP cast was being sent home Sunday, reports claimed Jackson and a female contestant—whose name will not be reported because she may be the victim of sexual misconduct—were at the center of the controversy.
A source told TMZ that Jackson and the female contestant hooking up was supposed to be a major storyline in Season 4. Though the hookup may have been planned, questions arose about whether it was consensual after a producer filed a complaint. According to PEOPLE, a source says the female contestant Jackson had a sexual encounter with appeared to be too intoxicated to give consent. Other contestants on the show were reportedly "upset that crew members did not do more to stop the incident."
Speaking with TMZ, Jackson claimed the encounter was not only consensual but was also instigated by his female costar. Meanwhile, the female contestant is reportedly furious with producers for allowing something to happen that she says she did not consent to.
With so much conflicting information out there, PEOPLE reports that a source within the show says they value consent and are looking for answers. “The show absolutely values the primacy of consent, and this instance it appears as though conduct allegedly occurred without the proper consent having been given. There are still a lot of unanswered questions, and a lot of people who need a chance to tell their stories fully, and the producers and the authorities will make sure they are given every opportunity to do so. Most of all, everyone wants to ensure the safety and well-being, both mentally and physically, of all parties involved.”
In a statement following their decision to suspend production, Warner Bros. said, "We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action.”
As of right now, the official production status of Bachelor in Paradise is unknown. Reality Steve tweeted that at least this season has been canceled, though this has not been confirmed.
This story is developing.