Michelle Obama is so many things—the outgoing FLOTUS, a political force, a mother, a free spirit, an inspiration. Somehow, among all the projects she undertook during her time in the White House, she found time to take a pointed interest in her wardrobe. Mrs. Obama quickly became one of the best dressed First Ladies ever, even giving the elegant Jackie Kennedy a run for her money. Here are 13 of her best looks ever.
1. November 2009, Women’s Health Insurance Reform Event
The first lady pulls off this single-color ensemble perfectly by playing with texture and print.
2. June 2010, U.S. Marine Base Camp
Channel your inner FLOTUS in this Women's ILE New York Plaid Shift Dress ($49.99 at Kohl’s).
3. May 2011, Buckingham Palace
Obama looks like royalty in these pastel hues and delicate floral print.
4. May 2011, Queen Elizabeth’s State Dinner
This KES Bare Halter Dress ($89 at Revolve) is the perfect substitute for this elegant white dress.
5. May 2012, Warrior Games Opening Ceremony
Look at how FUN this entire outfit is. These Sam Edelman ‘Hazel’ Suede Pumps ($60 at Lane Crawford) are almost identical.
6. January 2013, Inaugural Ball
The texture of this simple red dress takes it from classic to cool (in a way that is still classic enough for the First Lady!).
7. February 2014, State Dinner
This gown is fit for a queen… or a first lady!
8. May 2014, Anna Wintour Costume Centre Grand Opening
Snag your own version of this stunning green lace dress with this Front Row Mentor Lace Dress in Juniper ($20.99 at ModCloth)
9. June 2015, Milan Expo
Obama makes the simplest of silhouettes fun with bright colors and fun prints.
10. June 2015, Arriving in London
If anyone can pull off these two bright, hard-to-wear colors, its the FLOTUS!
11. September 2015, Formal State Dinner for Chinese President Xi
This dress is such a dream. If I owned a gown this gorgeous, I swear I would never take it off.
12. September 2016, The Ellen Show
This Yumi Map Print Dress ($51 at House of Fraser) is a perfect dupe for Obama’s stunning map dress.
13. September 2016, Phoenix Awards Dinner
How could we not include this stunning gold number on this list?